Friday, March 25, 2011

Me? Fashionable? Why thank you!

I remember when I was younger. I was a middle schooler down in Miami when my mom let me pick out the pair of shoes I wanted, all on my own. Her advice was simple. "Get what you like."

Now I was about 12 at the time. At that age when my light up Sailor Moon LA Gears were no longer cool so if I wanted to be the talk of the town, or at least the talk of my homeroom class, I needed a major style upgrade. Something that said "watch out world, I'm not a little elementary school girl anymore!"

I remember going to Ross with my mom and looking through what seemed to be an endless section of shoes, I was a little overwhelmed. After years of having my mom choose clothes and shoes and just wearing what she gave me, this task seemed daunting. All I could think was "I am not a little kid anymore! I want the opposite of my LA Gears." Thinking color was synonymous with child-like, I opted for the blandest shoes of the bunch, a pair of plain white sneakers.

I wish I could say that I loved those shoes so much and I customized them and made them my own -- but that's not what happened. I think I wore them two or three times before I admitted defeat and went back to letting my mom get what she wanted for me.

I did try again over the years and i trusted myself a little more, although it took me a while before I started to trust outlandish color pallets.

I had years when I only wore jeans, years when I was interested in nothing but sneakers, years when I only painted my toes jet black and years when I thought rolling my flare jeans into capris was better than buying jeans that were already cut to capri length.

We'll just put it this way, It took me a while to really find my style.

Thankfully, I think I'm finally making some head way.

The common myth seems to be that skinny girls get all the breaks when it comes to shopping because everything just magically fits. Not True!

Where things are too tight and too small on you, they are ridiculously big on me, fitting like a burlap sack, and cleavage? What's that?

Us skinny girls have our struggles too!

I think in the last two years Ive really learned to find clothes that look good on my body type. (Thank God!)

I know you want some pictures! So let me stop talking and show you what I wore today.

Dress Ross Stores $8.99
Belt Wet Seal $9.99



Earrings Somewhere in NY (Gift :))

No comments:

Post a Comment